Temple of Hephaistos

Temple of Hephaistos, broadly known as “Thisio”, is located on top of Agoraios Kolonos hill. It is one of the best preserved ancient temples. Two deities were jointly worshipped in the temple: god Hephaestus, protector of all metallurgists, and goddess Athena Ergani, protecting all potters and the cottage industries. The temple was probably erected between 460 and 420 BC by a yet unknown architect, to whom, however, are attributed other temples of similar structure in the Attica region. Since 1834 the temple was used as an archaeological museum, until 1930, when the American School for Classical Studies in Athens started excavations in the Ancient Agora.
Ratings and Reviews
Points Of Sale