Herod Atticus Odeon

The famous Herod Atticus Odeon dominates the southern foothills of the Acropolis. The roofed Odeon served mainly musical festivals, and could host up to 5,000 spectators. It was built in 161 AD by the Greek Herodes Atticus in memory of his Roman wife, Aspasia Annia Regilla. It was originally a steep-sloped theater with a three-story stone front wall and a wooden roof made of expensive cedar of Lebanon timber. It was used as a venue for music concerts. The Odeon was destroyed in 267 BC and it was never reconstructed contrary to other edifices that suffered damages. The monument was restored during 1952-1953 and since 1957 it stages art festivals mostly in the framework of the Athens Festival.
Ratings and Reviews
Points Of Sale